Sunday, March 25, 2012

Broccoli-Carrot Slaw with Cranberries and Almonds

Good day, everyone!

I have finally decided to sit myself down and write up a bunch of posts. I apologize for neglecting this. My motivation in the last week has been lacking. It's been problematic lately, but I'm trying to get back in the saddle.

This recipe is a nice summer side dish, especially for grilled meats and hot days. It's great if made a day ahead, too, as the flavors all get to meld together! It's very versatile, and you can remove or add any flavors you might prefer quite easily.

Ingredients:

1 head of broccoli
2-3 carrots (depending on size)
1/4 cup grated onion
1/2 cup dried cranberries (get the unsweetened kind)
1/2 cup almonds or other nut, chopped (pine nuts or sunflower seeds work very well)
A creamy, low-sugar vinaigrette dressing (the one I used will follow)

Instructions:

Grate up the broccoli stalk, and chop up the florets into tiny, bite-sized pieces. In all, you should have about 3-4 cups of broccoli (the florets included).

Grate up the carrots. You should have twice as much broccoli as carrots.


Combine the carrots, broccoli, onion, cranberries, and nuts in a large bowl. Adjust the onion to your taste (I like a little more).


Either buy a nice, tangy vinaigrette dressing, or make your own. I really like this one!


Combine with the dressing and allow to sit for at least 1 hour. Serve chilled! We had it with grilled sausage and caramelized onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment