Monday, March 19, 2012

Turkey Chili

Half of my extended family hails from Texas, and chili recipes abound in our cookbooks. I have learned from the best, and though many will say that "real Texas chili doesn't have beans in it," I have always had beans in my chili. I like it better. I feel like meat-only chili is something to be reserved for adding to hot dogs or cheese dip.

Trying to stretch our groceries, I had a 7-lb. turkey in my freezer and cooked that last week, and used most of the leftovers for this chili. You could certainly make this with chicken, beef, pork, or a ground variety of any of these as well.

Chili is versatile! Chili is filling! And chili is pretty darn healthy!

Ingredients:

3 cups diced, cooked turkey (about 1 pound of meat in total, I think)
1 1/2 cups total of dried black and kidney beans, mixed, soaked overnight (you could also use two 15 oz. cans of beans)
1 large can tomato sauce (I always try to buy low-sodium, and I think the large can is something like 24 oz.)
1 can water (use the tomato sauce can)
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 tablespoons chili powder
1-2 tablespoons cumin (depending on how strong your cumin is)
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon chipotle pepper
1 teaspoon (or more, to taste) salt

Instructions:

This is super-duper easy. Get out your slow-cooker. Toss everything into the slow-cooker. Cook on low heat for 8-10 hours (depending on what time you start it). Taste and re-season about an hour before serving. YOU ARE DONE.


For those of you who don't have a slow-cooker:

Get out a big pot. Heat up a tablespoon or so of oil. Cook onion, bell pepper, and garlic until soft. Add tomato sauce, water, and spices. Bring to a simmer. Add meat and beans. Cook for 1-2 hours (at least) over low heat. Season to taste before serving.

Serve topped with your choice of garnishes! Appropriate ones include: sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, hot sauce, cilantro, lime wedges, chopped jalapenos, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment