Thursday, February 16, 2012

Valentine's Day Overview

Two posts in one day?! MADNESS!!

But I had to share what I made for Valentine's Day :D.

Here is a lovely tidbit of information, first: IT IS FAR EASIER TO PUT ON WEIGHT THAN IT IS TO LOSE IT. And NONE of this is low-carb (except maybe the sugar snap peas) or, really, diet friendly. You are warned.

So, on to our Valentine's Day Menu.

Creamy sweet potato and leek soup. This recipe was pulled from a book I have, and will be posted if requested.


Seared duck breast with a cherry glaze, with sugar snap peas in orange zest.


The snap peas were sauteed in a pan with about 1 T. orange zest and 2 cloves of minced garlic, then salted and peppered.

5-layer chocolate cake with a Swiss-meringue-buttercream frosting and chocolate-covered strawberries.

The cake was from this recipe. I attempted to make the strawberry buttercream, but when I added the strawberry puree, it became a soup (I have great difficulty with buttercream frosting). So I just made another batch of vanilla buttercream and skipped the strawberries. Also, the cake should have been 6 layers, but one of my layers came out too thin and crumbled. I then punched out heart-shaped cake layers with a cookie cutter to make a cute themed cake :D.


Oh, hello!


And there you have it. Our tasty meal :D. Plus Iago, our African Grey parrot and my personal sous-chef, for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment