Friday, February 17, 2012

Cauliflower Pizza "Crust" (Now with pictures!)

I have exciting news, low-carbers.

We can have pizza again.

And not that crappy tortilla-crust pizza that low-carb books/sites always recommend.

No, a real, thick, almost bread-like crust.

The only downside is it crumbles and you can't really pick it up with your hands, but I'm going to play around with the recipe and see if I can't fix that. Also, you have to pre-cook any vegetables/meats you're going to toss on it.

Ingredients:

1 head of cauliflower
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
2 eggs
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
1 T. dried oregano
1 T. olive oil

Instructions:

Remove stem and leaves from the cauliflower, and roughly chop up the florets. Process them, a bit at a time, in a food processor until they resemble grain (mine looked like couscous).

My head of cauliflower yielded 3 cups of raw processed cauliflower, about.

Put the processed cauliflower in a bowl and microwave it in 2 minute intervals (stirring between each one) for 6-8 minutes, until the cauliflower is cooked. You'll probably have around 2 cups in the end, once it's all condensed.

Mix in mozzarella, olive oil, garlic, and oregano. Allow to cool a bit, and then add the eggs.

Line a baking sheet or pizza pan with foil and drizzle with oil or cooking spray. Dump the mixture onto the sheet and shape into a pizza crust (I wouldn't recommend going too thick, as it could end up being soggy).


Bake at 450 degrees F for 12-15 minutes, rotating about halfway through.


Add pre-cooked pizza toppings and sauce, turn your broiler on high, and broil 6-8 inches from heat until your cheese is nicely melted and browned. This took about 5-6 minutes for ours.


We had to eat it with a fork, but it was SOOOO good! In the end, the crust tastes like a cheesy-garlic bread (YUM!).

I think perhaps the crust cooked too long, but I was so afraid of it being soggy that I just left it in the oven longer. Next time I will leave it for less time and see if that yields a more bread-like crust.

3 comments:

  1. I am sooooooo making this this week!!!!!!!! and cj who says he won't eat it, will Love it muahahahahahahahahha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he'll be surprised how tasty it is, haha!

      Delete
  2. Hey Amy,
    I made this again tonight. It is sooooo good! I used the Sargentos Italian cheese blend in the dough. CJ really likes it, I put raw onions and peppers on his side. It has the great taste of pizza without the carbs! CJ was wondering if we could do something to give the crust some crispness, any ideas?

    ReplyDelete