Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Turkish Lentil Soup with Sumac

Annnnnd we're back!

I apologize for the absence. I wasn't cooking much last week due to just being lonely and having no inspiration. Charles came home from London and I was celebrating (and gaining 4 pounds, yikes!) by making unhealthy foodstuffs. We went out and ordered a crap-ton of sushi (delicious!) and saw The Woman in Black, which was good, but not fantastic (and definitely did not keep me awake at night). Superbowl Sunday came and went, we had a day of worrying about our dog Maggie because she was vomiting and ill yesterday, and here we are today. The day on which I vowed to update! Luckily, I now have a stockpile of a few recipes that I can post, so there will be more updates this week :D.

SO, after the ful, I had a supply of red lentils that I was determined to use. This has led to much soup-making.

This soup was good, but I think it would have been GREAT with a sweet potato in it. It has a hint of curry flavor to it and I didn't feel like it had a well-rounded flavor to it--the sweetness of the sweet potato would have complimented all the flavors perfectly and brought it all together.

Sumac is not the poisonous plant you're probably thinking of, haha. I got mine from Penzey's, and I actually haven't seen it sold many places. It has a lovely citrus taste to it, much like a lime.

Ingredients:

2 T. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 carrot, sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed with the flat of your knife
1 t. paprika (I used a mix of sweet and half-sharp)
1 t. cumin
1/2 t. turmeric
1/2 t. fenugreek (I added this because I love the flavor)
1 cup dry red lentils, washed and picked over
1/2 cup diced tomatos in sauce
6-8 cups water or stock (I recommend stock--water was just far too bland)
Salt & pepper to taste
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1 T. sumac

Lime wedgess & yogurt or feta cheese for garnish

Instructions:

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook until soft. Add garlic and spices, and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.


Stir in lentils and tomatos, and allow to cook for a few minutes.



Add stock/water, and bring to a simmer. Allow it to cook for 30-45 minutes, until the lentils are mushy. Taste and season with salt & pepper.


Process in a food processor or blender (or with a hand blender) and serve.

Top with sumac, red pepper flakes, and, if desired, lime juice and yogurt or cheese.


You could easily make this vegan by using a veggie stock or water, and avoiding the yogurt/cheese.

Coming up this week: another lentil soup, delicious chicken dish, and "Juicy Lucy" bunless burgers :D.

No comments:

Post a Comment