Friday, November 29, 2013

Butternut Squash Spinach Lasagna

Allow me to say that I threw this together on a whim.  And my (early) New Year's resolution is to get this blog back up and running again.

So while I sip mulled wine and watch ABC Family's Harry Potter marathon (that will happen every weekend during the winter season, if I recall), I'll type up a recipe I kind of made up on a whim, with minor (read: very little) help from other recipes.

Ingredients:

One very large butternut squash, or two small ones, peeled and seeded, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
6 cups baby spinach, washed
1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
1/3-1/2 cup gluten free all-purpose flour
3 cups milk (I used goat's milk, it was divine), warmed
2 cups shredded sharp cheese (I used Carr Valley Chipotle Cranberry Cheddar)
Pinch of nutmeg
2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
2 T. ground sage
Salt and pepper to taste
1 box gluten-free lasagna noodles (I used them raw, but if you're not going to let it sit overnight, precook them.)

Olive oil, as needed

Instructions:

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.

Toss your butternut squash slices in olive oil and roast for 30 minutes, until lightly browned and tender.  Remove and cool.

In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter and allow to heat until foaming.  Add in the flour and whisk until blended.  Allow to cook until foaming, 2-5 minutes (depending on your stove).  Pour in the milk in a steady stream, whisking the entire time.  Bring the mixture to a boil, and reduce heat, whisking often, until the mixture thickens.  Remove from heat and add in the cheddar cheese and nutmeg.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Oil a lasagna pan (I used an 8x8 ceramic one) and place 4 lasagna noodles along the bottom.  Top with 1/3 of the butternut squash.  Season with 1/3 of the sage, salt, and pepper. Top with 1/3 of the mornay sauce.  Spread half of the spinach over this, then top with 1/3 of the gruyere cheese.  Repeat layers.  Top with another set of lasagna noodles, remaining squash, mornay, gruyere, and spices.  For extra oomph, line the top with fresh sage leaves.  Cover.

At this point, I let mine sit in the fridge overnight, allowed the noodles to soak up some liquid and thus not needing to precook them.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Bake the lasagna, covered, for 30 minutes.  Remove the foil and bake for 30 more minutes, until browning on top and bubbling along the sides.  Raise temperature to 400 if it's not browning enough for you.

Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes and serve!  Next time, I think I'll add in either some cremini or shiitake mushrooms for a bit of "meatiness", but it was delicious as is!

No comments:

Post a Comment