Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Spicy Pumpkin Soup

Pumpkin isn't just for desserts!  I made this up, completely, after not being satisfied with any pumpkin soup recipes I found.

It has some flavors of both Southwestern and Asian cuisine, which (surprisingly) pair together nicely.  I would have loved to add some red curry paste if I'd only had it.  It pulls together very quickly.

Having a cold, my sense of taste is kinda crappy, so I was told I overseasoned this.  Take measurements with a grain of salt.

Also, it can easily be made vegetarian/vegan if you switch out the chicken stock for vegetable stock and the butter for olive oil/an oil of your choice.

Enjoy!

Ingredients:

2 T. butter
2 small onions, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1-inch knob of ginger, minced
1 t. chili powder
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. paprika
1 t. thyme
3 cups pumpkin puree
2-3 cups chicken stock (depending on how thin you want your soup)
1/2 cup coconut milk
Salt to taste

Instructions:

Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat.  When butter bubbles and foams, place onions, garlic, and ginger in the pan.  Saute until onions are cooked through and slightly caramelized, about 10 minutes.

Add in the spices and herbs and allow to cook for a few minutes more.

Add in the pumpkin and chicken stock, bringing it to a simmer.  Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
That chunk is some frozen puree.

If you prefer, pour your soup into a blender and puree.  I didn't only because I'm ill and didn't want to clean yet another thing :D.

Accompanying meal will be posted tomorrow.
About 10 minutes before serving, reheat your soup (if you've let it sit) and add the coconut milk.  Salt to taste.  Simmer and serve hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment