Sunday, May 27, 2012

Low-Carb Carrot Cake

Allow me to take this opportunity to state that just because something is low carb does NOT mean it is low calorie.  I run into a lot of people who think that just because my dessert has no flour or sugar in it means they can eat an absurd amount of it without any problem.  Almond flour is still almonds, and nuts are very calorie dense.  Butter is still butter.  Eat in moderation!

I was craving cake--real cake with frosting and layers--and I decided to convert this recipe that I've had saved forever into something more diet friendly, so I don't have to feel so guilty for eating it.

The cake came out a bit too moist (next time I might strain the carrots/pineapple in cheesecloth to get out the extra liquid) and the texture is not quite right, but it still tastes great.  Charles even had two pieces of it!  So I deem it a success.


Carrot Cake

Ingredients:

2 cups almond flour
2 cups Splenda (or equivalent of another sugar substitute)
2 t. baking soda
1 t. xanthan gum
1 t. salt
2 1/4 t. cinnamon
1 t. ground ginger
Pinch of nutmeg
1 lb. carrots, peeled (if you prefer) and sliced into 2-inch chunks (this was about 5 1/2 carrots for me)
1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
1/2 cup canola oil
1 t. vanilla extract
3 large eggs

Optional:
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins

Instructions:


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Butter and flour two 8-inch round cake pans.

Sift together dry ingredients and set aside.

Place carrots and pineapple in a food processor and chop.  How chunky you want it is up to you.  I would also strain it, as I said, to remove excess liquid next time.

Mix wet ingredients together with the carrots and pineapple, and combine with dry ingredients.  Stir in whatever additions you like--we just used walnuts.

Pour into prepared pans and bake for 35-45 minutes (check that the cake isn't squishy in the center by pressing down on it--I find that the toothpick trick isn't useful with almond flour).

Allow to cool completely before frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting


Ingredients:

2 8 oz. packages of cream cheese, room temperature
2/3 cup of butter, room temperature
2 cups Splenda (I used the granulated kind, it came out fine)
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 T. vanilla extract

Instructions:


Beat together butter and cream cheese on a high speed until well-combined and fluffy, about 2 minutes (do not overbeat!).  Add in lemon zest, juice, and vanilla.

Beat in Splenda gradually until well combined.  Stop beating when the texture reaches a spreadable consistency.  Chill until it is time to frost the cake.

This made enough to frost the two layer cake entirely, and I still had a small bit leftover!




Enjoy, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment