Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Chicken Paprikash

Good day, everyone! It's time to update, after neglecting to do it for so long.  My mother was visiting and I have been very busy, and diet-wise, I haven't been being very good.  But, I have some lovely recipes to post!

One of my problems with some of Kalyn's more saucy recipes is that the sauce often ends up being a soup and requiring some sort of starch (rice, noodles, something) to mop it all up and not be a mess.  This is great if you're not doing low-carb or if you have access to low-carb noodles (I don't), but when you're trying to go for as little carbs as possible, your plate ends up half-covered in sauce and you're left either trying to pick it up with your vegetables or licking the plate.  I actually found another recipe for this in one of my cookbooks, and I'll try it out next time and see if it's any less messy.

I'm going to directly link Kalyn's recipe because I didn't change a thing about it.  Here it is!  http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2006/04/chicken-paprikashfrom-recipe-archivess.html


And I'll post her directions as well, for the lazy.  But credit where credit is due.


Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut crosswise into strips about 1/2 inch wide
2 T (or less) sweet paprika (Hungarian paprika is best)
2 tsp. (or less) sharp paprika (Hungarian paprika is best)
1 tsp. crushed caraway seed (optional)
2 tsp. each butter and olive oil (or maybe a bit more, depending on your pan, use all olive oil if you prefer)
1 onion, chopped (don't chop too small)
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained very well (I like Muir Glen organic canned tomatoes)
2 cups homemade chicken stock or 2 cans (15 oz.) chicken broth reduced to 2 cups
1 cup bottled roasted red bell pepper, diced same size as onions (or more, if it's a 12 oz. jar I would use the whole jar)
1/2 cup or more low fat sour cream (do not use fat free)



Instructions:
I like to pound the chicken breasts slightly before I cut it into strips so the pieces are all the same thickness. Season chicken with 1 tsp. sweet paprika, salt and pepper.

Heat nonstick pan and add half the butter and half the olive oil. When oil is hot, saute chicken until cooked through and barely browned. Use slotted spoon and transfer chicken to plate.


Add rest of butter and olive oil to pan and add onion. Saute onion until just starting to soften, about 4 minutes. Add all the rest of paprika and caraway seed if using, saute 30 seconds. Add red pepper and tomatoes and cook about 2 minutes.


Add chicken broth and turn up heat to high and cook until sauce coats spoon, about 5 minutes. 


Mix in chicken and any juice from plate. 

Reduce heat to low again and stir in sour cream. Simmer until just heated through (do not boil once you've added the sour cream.)




**I added a couple of zucchini, sliced, to the pot when I added the chicken back in, and I thought it was a nice addition.

Enjoy, everyone!  

I'm hitting a running milestone today--5 miles!  Thanks to Runkeeper, which now forces me to make and keep goals :P.  Also, Charles finally comes home from London (his first time home in 5 weeks) and Diablo III was released!  It's an exciting day!

No comments:

Post a Comment