Monday, March 5, 2012

Pork Chops with Tomato, Onion, and Feta

Good Monday, everyone! It was quite a busy weekend for us (we had many things to do) and now both Charles and I are sick with some flu-like ailment, so forgive any grumpiness that comes through my post :P.

I've made this recipe a couple of times now, and I absolutely love the topping. It could easily go on any other meat, and I just enjoy munching it on its own, haha.

Ingredients:

3-4 pork chops, 1 inch thick (of course, depending on their size...mine were massive)
2 T. olive oil, divided
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups whole tomatoes in juice, chopped, or diced tomatoes
1 T. dried basil (there was basil in my canned tomatoes already, so I didn't add this)
2 T. balsamic vinegar
4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
Salt & pepper to taste

Instructions:

Heat 1 T. olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Season pork with salt and pepper, and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes each. I don't recommend cooking them all the way through on this step, as they may dry out during completion of the dish. Remove from pan and set aside.


In the same pan, heat the rest of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and garlic and cook until translucent, and slightly browned.


Add in the tomatoes, vinegar, and dried basil. Cook for about 5 minutes.


Bring to a simmer and add the pork chops back in (I think this gives them a great flavor and allows them to finish cooking). Allow to simmer for 20 minutes or so.


If your sauce still has a lot of liquid, remove the chops and allow the liquid to cook off. Taste your sauce and season with salt and pepper if necessary.

When finished, serve pork and top with sauce. Crumble feta cheese over the top and enjoy!


This was served with a tasty sautee of leeks and green beans, and I'll post that recipe tomorrow. Until then, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment