Thursday, January 12, 2012

Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto and Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken

So, one of my cats may be sick, and I'm trying to distract myself until the vet appointment by posting.

This is one of Charles' latest favorites of all the low-carb chicken dishes I've made. It's REALLY tasty, super easy, and it disappears really fast! Adapted from Kalyn's recipe, as usual.

Ingredients:

3 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
1/3 cup sun-dried tomato pesto
1/3 cup soft goat cheese
3/4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
Salt & pepper to taste

Instructions:

Preheat your oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a rectangular baking dish big enough to hold the chicken breasts side by side.

Mix together sun-dried tomato pesto and goat cheese in a small bowl, until well-blended.


Using a meat mallet, flatten chicken breasts until they are about 1/4 inch thick. I do this in a sealed plastic bag as to not have chicken spray everywhere.


In a shallow dish (I use a pie dish), mix together grated parmesan, salt, and pepper. Lay a flattened chicken breast in the dish, press down to coat with parmesan, and fill with 1/3 of the pesto-cheese mixture.


Roll the chicken around the pesto mixture and secure with toothpicks (I tend to roll mine like tacos). Place in baking dish and repeat with other chicken breasts. I also tend to dump any leftover parmesan from the shallow dish on top of the chicken once I'm done coating/filling.


Bake at 350 F for 40-50 minutes, until the chicken is firm (but not HARD) and cooked through. Sometimes I turn up the heat to 375 F in the last 10 minutes to get a nice browned top on the chicken, but that's not necessary. Serve hot!


P.S. Please excuse the poor lighting in my photos. I am not a photographer, and it's pretty darn dark here in Canada by dinnertime, so they pictures are shot under cruddy indoor lighting :P.

No comments:

Post a Comment