Saturday, January 28, 2012

CHEAT DAY: Pasta with Salmon and Broccoli in a Lemon Cream Sauce

WARNING: This recipe is in no way low-carb. It was tonight's Cheat Day dinner.

Ingredients:

1 small salmon filet, chopped into bite-sized pieces
About 1 cup of broccoli florets (optional)
2 T. butter
1 T. flour
1/3-1/2 cup of cream
Zest and juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 T. capers, drained
Salt & pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese for garnish

Instructions:

Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain/rinse and set aside.

Melt 1 T. butter in a pan over medium heat.


Add broccoli and saute until almost cooked through (I like mine crunchy). Remove from pan (I didn't do that, but my broccoli ended up overcooked, so I advise doing this).


Melt 1 T. butter in the same pan over medium heat. Add 1 T. flour and stir together to form a roux. Allow the roux to become foamy. Add the cream in a steady stream, stirring until incorporated. Bring to a simmer and allow to thicken. Add more cream if desired.


Add the lemon juice, zest, and capers. Allow to cook for 1-2 minutes.

Add salmon. Cook on all sides in the simmering sauce until nearly cooked through. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.


Toss the pasta and broccoli in the pan with the sauce, and serve garnished with parmesan cheese!


Delicious! But I only ate about half to save room for dessert. I also think that if you wanted this to be low-carb, you could serve the salmon with the sauce, just reduce the quantity.

2 comments:

  1. Camille is gonna love that one when he'll be back from his boys' week (where they play video games all night, ski a bit, and have whisky/beers/pasta-with-cheese as elementary food ^^) Thanks for this blog, I find it hard to renew dinners and you help a lot with healthy recipes ! I even caught Camille on your blog hu hu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I'm glad you enjoy it, Julie! And I SEE YOU, CAMILLE! :P

      Delete